Sunday

JUNE 2007


I'm Home. Three simple experiences: First. When the plane landed at the Davao airport, I immediately texted Mama, Papa, and my younger brother Jin. All of a sudden, I realized how far I am to my family, loved ones, and friends. The distance between us has been stretched farther. Anyway, a single text will allow us to stay connected in just a matter of seconds.

Second. Before I entered the gates of DWFC-Davao, I began to miss the DWST community – the cute (ehem) and the dynamic members of the Maramisa class, the angelic (owz, really?) faces of the iskos, the friendly ambiance of the place, the energetic
formators and professors, the kind-hearted co-missionaries, the tiring research work (naks), and other things. DWST has been my comfort zone.

Third. As I placed my baggage in the regent’s room I texted Ferdie and Bene, “Tol, I’m home!” I did not say I’m already at my regency area. I put a stress on the word "home" thinking of the warm friendship, fraternal relationship, and community of brotherhood that I expect to find inside the house. But, wait a moment. I am just a stranger in my new home. A stranger in a sense that, most of the things I am to expect, if not all, are new to me – the people, the personalities, the culture, the place, the climate, and others. If the old adage claims that “there’s no place like home,” then, I wish that DWFC-D would be an extension of that home of mine.

These experiences create the excitement of discovering new things in a new environment as contradistinguished from being sent abroad. Now, I understand better why we have “early returnees” coming from a foreign soil.

Will I survive in this new home? Why not? I hope and pray that when I leave the portals of the DWFC-D and the confines of Davao City at the end of my regency, I could proudly say, “Indeed, I got a home in Davao!”

8 in 1. It has nothing to do with the DVDs being peddled by the Muslim and Christian traders along the sidewalks of Quiapo. It’s all about “8 tasks in 1 Abs” – prefect (to the 1st yr sems), community liturgist, music coordinator, asst. apostolate director, staff secretary, vocation animator, teacher, and MPA coordinator.

The mere fact of enumerating these tasks overwhelms me. My brain cells begin to juggle. At first, I was deeply troubled as to where, when, what, and how I will start. I was having a hard time laying the foundation for each one of them. Eventually, I’ve managed to make the giant leap so as to get things going. Thanks to the “divide and conquer principle.”

The tasks assigned to me demand a deep sense of discipline. I am challenged. These tasks prompt me to kneel in humility and invoke the assistance of the Holy Spirit. They require me to settle down in quietude to enable me to plan out the things in a systematic and organized manner. They encourage me to rise and walk, to put things into action, and thereafter, to lead and to motivate others to move forward (Arevalo’s idea- kneel, sit, stand, and walk).

I must admit, sometimes these things tend to become a burden for me. But these tasks open the doors for me to develop my potential skills. At the same time, these are tools for me to create opportunities for others, especially the young sems, to discover more about themselves and the community and to further develop their God-given talents.

Farewell Bo, Welcome Ba! It’s not that easy to let go of “Bo” –bote ng matador, bote ng emperador, bote ng beer, etc. We have abundant bottlesof beer and other branded liquors in the refrigerator but I could not simply say “shot tayo Bay” to Fr. Maniwang or to Fr. Busia unlike to Bene and Pardz.Well, it’s time to change this kind of gimmick. I have to shift from “Bo” to “Ba” – barbells, badminton, basketball coach, and of course back to band.

Barbells. Abs hits the gym (…hehe). Lifting barbells and dumbbells after 20minutes of stretching and jogging a day can really cause muscle pains. Such afternoon “sessions” enable my body to be in good shape. Stay fit, not fat. These strenuous activities also help increase my stamina too. Well, shall I say, in preparation for the much-awaited ascend to the slopes of Mt. Apo soon?

Badminton. Moving from left to right quickly and stepping forward and backward with agility is as much tiring as that of playing a four-quarter basketball game. Smashing the shuttlecock helps release tension, stress, and other negative energies. A game once a week outside the seminary premises is a fulfilling break.

Basketball Coach. I’m not a star player but I guess I’m a potential basketball coach (hehe). Surfing the net on the topics about effective coaching, basketball drills and techniques, and other related matters about basketball has become part of my weekly concerns. Facilitating the drills and practices every Friday afternoon requires much patience and dedication. Although time-consuming, being a basketball coach is also my outlet from the rigidities of my stay here. As long as I see the continued improvement and established camaraderie among the members of the team, I feel fulfilled.

Band. My all time favorite! Running my fingers through the guitar strings, looking at the one strumming the bass guitar, and nodding to the drummer’s beating of the set of drums and cymbals gradually fill the music room with the high-strung alternative sound. Jamming with the people here once in a while perks me up and my adrenalin starts to shoot up.

To some extent, Ba is more productive than Bo. But these Ba’s drive me crazy. They make me conscious of my food intake (nagd-diet na ako hehe). I have lost weight and I aim to develop washboard abs (hehe… ayos… si Abs, magkaka-6-pack abs na! hahaha).

Abs' day! Nothing compares to the eagerness to visit the hermit. He is the artist who wanders in the world of paints; the adventurous who courageously penetrates the undiscovered forest; the cool who adapts to different situations calmly; the weird rocker who listens, plays, and jams with the sound of alternative music; the serene person who loves the sound of silence; and the simple being who hopes and prays for God’s grace and mercy.

Thursday’s travel to the streets of “productive distancing” (Fr. Nielo’s term) provide an ample time for the hermit to see things vividly from afar. Now is the time for the hermit to simply be himself — to relax the body, to rest the mind, to refresh the soul, to fill the emptiness from within, and the like. A day outside the structured life is good enough to prepare the hermit to look forward to another week-long schedule of activities.

No comments: